Saturday, June 13, 2009

Swimming in the Amazon



I was so hung-over today. We stayed out until 4a.m. at this club called DEJAVU. It was so much fun minus when some Brazilian guy came up and stuck his tongue in my ear ewwwww! His breath smelled like cheese and I smelt cheese the rest of the night. I literally screamed bloody murder and felt like I was going to throw up the rest of the night. All in all, it was the best night yet

I actually swam in the Amazon today! It's not infested with piranhas like in the movies.

We took a boat down the Amazon in order to get to the island where the beach was. The boat ride was really, really fun. There was live music and dancing. We also got to lie out the whole way there, which was nice because I got super tan. I'm probably the tannest I've been in a while. It was sooooo hot on the boat, but thank god they had cold showers on the deck where we all regularly cooled ourselves off.

When we got to the island, we had to hike a little ways in order to get to the beach. The beach was so pretty and the sand was so nice, considering it isn't imported or anything like in the states. Lunch was complimentary with our trip! The food was delicious- thinking about it now is making my stomach growl.

Most of our group got in and swam around in the Amazon. I was kind of skeptical though because the water is really murky and pretty nasty smelling. But hey, how many American girls can say they swam in the Amazon?

After a few hours we had to get back to the boat and sail back to the mainland. I didn't really notice it I guess on the way to the island, but there are Amazonian who canoe in the Amazon and people were throwing bags of food to them from our boat. It reminded me of Indians who had food thrown to them by settlers back in the day.

Joanne, Brit and I were brave enough to get up in front of a crowd of Brazilians and dance on our ride back. Two instructors were pulling people up from the crowd to teach them how to dance. I made a fool of myself and almost fell fifty times. If I had ate it in front of all those people I would've been so embarrassed! We have some pretty good pictures of it on facebook if anyone wants to check them out.

The ride back to Belém definitely seemed shorted than the way there. We docked the boat and took cabs back to the hotel. I have this habit now where I call our hotel home. It for sure isn't home. Speaking of, I wonder how everything is in California?

I'm planning on extending my trip until the 24th to go to Rio with some of the girls. I really hope my parents let me go because I think it would be a great experience and I might as well considering I'm already in Brazil. Besides, my flight schedule back is ridiculous! I go about ten hours out of my way in order to get back to Long Beach. Not cool! So, we'll see if my dream comes true and if I can go to Rio next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment